problem resolving ardownload.adobe.com --enable-sit harmful?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jul 3 23:41:07 UTC 2014

I suggest that you log a complaint with Adobe requesting that they
contact their nameserver vendor for a fix.  This bug is similar in
nature to that of http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/714121 (NXDOMAIN
incorrectly returned to a AAAA query).  Unknown EDNS options are
supposed to be ignored by the nameserver, RFC 6891, though that
wasn't clear in RFC 2671.  NXDOMAIN however is a idiotic response
to a unknown EDNS option.

	dig ardownload.wip4.adobe.com @da1gtm001.adobe.com +nsid

will also demonstate this bug and doesn't involve using experimental
EDNS opcodes that +sit does.

At least the server returns BADVERS to EDNS(1) queries.

There are a number of nameservers that fail to respond correctly
to unknown EDNS options to EDNS(1) queries.  Dig can demonstrate the
server failing.

	dig name @server +edns=1
	dig name @server +nsid
	dig name @server +sit		      (BIND 9.10.0 compiled with
							 --enable-sit)
	dig name @server +ednsopt=#[:payload] (BIND 9.11.0 or later)

Each domain I have seen failing has had different failure signatures.

It looks like nameserver vendors are not doing even rudimentry
checks like those above.  DiG has thos options so that we could
perform checks like these.

Until Adobe fix their broken servers you can use a server clause to
disable sending SIT requests to them.  Obviously this does not scale.

	 server <address> { request-sit no; };

Mark