DNSSEC and upgrading/restoring

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Thu Jan 30 23:57:56 UTC 2014

On 1/28/14 3:49 AM, Alan Clegg wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2014, at 7:32 PM, David Newman <dnewman at networktest.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Asking again, in a different and more generic form: When
>> rebuilding a bind 9.9.4 server running DNSSEC with auto maintain,
>> are there any steps I need to take beyond just backing up
>> /var/named/etc/namedb (this is on FreeBSD) and restoring?
>>
>> This server is authoritative and primary, and has slaves for
>> multiple domains.
>>
>> I'm concerned about keeping keys, serial numbers, and any other
>> dynamic info in sync.
>
> Should be problem what-so-ever.
>
> Just stop the old server, do the backup, restore it where your new
> system expects it then start the new one.  A brief outage of your
> master should be no issue is your slaves are working correctly.
>
> Do make sure that the new version is built with the same options as
> the old one if you are replicating the file system locations of the
> data.  8-)

Thanks. This mostly worked fine.

The only gotchas:

1. On a NanoBSD box, named did not start because it couldn't write to
the old named.log file. Deleting the existing named.log cleared that
issue. I think this may be a NanoBSD-specific issue.

2. For five domains, the log contains signature-has-expired warnings.

In all five cases, these are for NSEC3PARAM records.

Is any action needed on my part, for example manually doing NSEC3
signing of these zones?

Thanks again!

dn