Need help debugging my zone file

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Jan 26 23:04:57 UTC 2014

In message <52E5904E.5070307 at gmail.com>, Michael Sullivan writes:
> Years ago I set up a DNS server on my network.  I found out last Friday
> that it is no longer working.  I switched to a new ISP last July and
> after that, my network numbers changed from 192.168.2.? to 192.168.0.?.
>  I have updated my zone file, but it still doesn't work and I can't
> figure out why.

You made other changes than just the address changes.

> Here's the output from named-checkconf:
>
> carter bind # named-checkconf named.conf
> carter bind #
>

> So named.conf is good.
>
> The problem I'm having is with db.espersunited.com
>
> Here's the output of named-checkzone:
>

> carter bind # named-checkzone espersunited.com db.espersunited.com
> dns_master_load: db.espersunited.com:37: www.espersunited.com: CNAME and
> other data
> www.espersunited.com.           IN CNAME carter.espersunited.com.
> zone espersunited.com/IN: loading from master file db.espersunited.com
> failed: CNAME and other data
> zone espersunited.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.
> carter bind #

At the error message says you have a "CNAME and other data" for
www.espersunited.com which you do (below).  The conflicting record
was detected at line 37 of file db.espersunited.com.

dns_master_load: db.espersunited.com:37: www.espersunited.com: CNAME and other data

www.espersunited.com.		IN A 192.168.0.2
www.espersunited.com.           IN CNAME carter.espersunited.com.

CNAME say "the real data for the LHS is at the RHS".  It is prohibited
so that the resolver can know that it doesn't have to do a lookup
for www.espersunited.com <sometype> if it has a www.espersunited.com
CNAME record cached.

You need to work out which of these records you wish to keep.

> carter bind # cat db.espersunited.com
[snipped]
> carter bind #
>
> I can't see anything wrong with it, but when I try to dig
> carter.espersunited.com, I get
> carter bind # dig carter.espersunited.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> carter.espersunited.com
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 46676
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
>
> ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;carter.espersunited.com.	IN	A
>
> ;; Query time: 0 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Sun Jan 26 16:46:11 CST 2014
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 52
>
> carter bind #

Yep, the zone file contains a detectable error so named has refused
to load it.  This is required behaviour from RFC 1034/1035.

Mark