additional section policy

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Jan 22 00:00:55 UTC 2014

If the names of the referred nameservers are in the domain of the
referral (e.g. *.example.com nameservers referred for the example.com
delegation), then it is *mandatory* to fill in the Additional Section
with the relevant A/AAAA address records, since there is no other way
for the referral to work (chicken-and-egg problem).

In most other cases, the contents of the Additional Section are
discretionary; the responding nameserver can fill in whatever it thinks
is "useful" to the requester. For security reasons, though, the
requester would be wise to only pay attention to those records in the
Additional Section that are within the "bailiwick" of the original
question, otherwise they might accept something untrustworthy into their
cache (the whole "bailiwick" thing is confusing, but
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/understanding-kaminskys-dns-bug
explains it fairly well).

The decision of what nameserver, among several, gets picked for
resolving iterative queries for a particular domain, is only
tangentially related to Additional Section processing, since NS records
can be fetched or seen in a variety of ways, and they are (as Chris
responded) selected via an adaptive algorithm based on SRTT (smoothed
round-trip time). Even that, however, has been proven to be somewhat
susceptible to attack:

http://securityintelligence.com/subverting-binds-srtt-algorithm-derandomizing-ns-selection/

in order to steer traffic to particular nameservers, for purposes,
presumably, of DoS or to magnify the effect of a subset of nameservers
having been compromised.

             - Kevin