Can we do a sub-domain delegation with godaddy?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jan 15 17:32:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Blason R <blason16 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am not sure if this is an appropriate forum to answer since more or less
> it is pertaining to Go Daddy support but since its a huge community our
> there and I am sure many of them are already using Go Daddy wondering if
> su-domain delegation is possible in Go Daddy?

Yes, yes it is...
I run my own DNS, but have a few test domains for playing with stuff
like this, and just tested it...

> I mean I have example.com hosted with Go Daddy while I need sub-domain
> ftp.example.com to be delegated to my internal BIND server.

So, your question is a little vague / incomplete. ftp.example.com is
*probably* a host name in example.com, and not a delegation.
If you want to just add ftp.example.com you login to the godaddy
domains manager thing, choose the domain you want to change
(example.com) then click "Edit Zone". Add an A record with the label
ftp (godaddy automatically adds the example.com bit, and gets grumpy
if you do it yourself) and IP of the FTP server. Click save and you
are done.

If you actually want to delegated a subdomain (subdomain.example.com)
to your nameservers (which is what you were asking, I think)
Same thing - choose the domain, click "Edit Zone" scroll down to the
very bottom of the list ("NS (Nameserver"), enter 'subdomain' in the
"Host" box and the name of your bind server in the "Points To" box.

I just did this for subdomain.4witter.com pointing to ns01.kumari.net.
I didn't bother actually creating the zone on ns01, but you can see it
works:

4witter.com. 172800 IN NS ns77.domaincontrol.com.
4witter.com. 172800 IN NS ns78.domaincontrol.com.
;; Received 134 bytes from 192.33.14.30#53(b.gtld-servers.net) in 185 ms

subdomain.4witter.com. 3600 IN NS ns01.kumari.net.
;; Received 79 bytes from 216.69.185.49#53(ns77.domaincontrol.com) in 269 ms