specifics of downgrading from rpz2 (3rd party patch) -> rpz1 (in Bind release) ?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jan 14 04:04:02 UTC 2014

In message <CAHv26DioGqAy5G3_Ni_q5=0A6t3hnoTvK00eo6OQh6nXoanczQ at mail.gmail.com>
, pgndev writes:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> > Why does the *need* to be info as the existing patches works other
> > than for the version file which for the fix by hand is pretty
> > obvious or you can just leave it as it is in 9.9.4-P2.
>
> The patch devs have been silent on their site, and on this list.  NBD
> -- their choice, of course.
>
> Who, other than you, has said anything about *need*?

You appear to want people to supply you with a new patch because
there is a minor change in the code.  You were the one complaining
about the lack of info.  That certainly looks like you "need" info
to keep using the code.

"and no info on the 3rd-party rpz2 patches since the 9.9.4 release,
we're downgrading to rpz1, as included in the supported Bind release
(ack'd that rpz2 will be 'in' 9.10.x)."

> You're of course welcome to use/apply any undocumented/unsupported
> patches you choose to.  Otoh, I choose to use as close to a release
> product as I can functionally get away with.

Me, I'm usually running unreleased code with features that havn't even
make a alpha release.  Yes, I eat my own dog food.

> I, personally, have zero interest in playing the lab-rat to determine
> what secondary/hidden effects there _might_ be by using even an
> 'obvious' patch that's been, in effect, abandoned.

-P's have the minimum in changes required to address the particular
security problem.  The existing patches work fine and unless you
are paying Vernon to support you he is under no obligation to respond
to you.  When the previous -P came out the advice given to the list
was "just apply the patch".

> Tho, now that you mention it, one DOES wonder that if it's so
> 'obvious', why ISC is waiting until 9.10.x to include it in the code

Because we broke the rule about including a chunks of new code in
a non .0 release for this and additional changes are of a level
where we would normally only add them at a .0 release.