Slowing down bind answers ?

Nicolas C. bind at nryc.fr
Thu Jan 2 22:33:06 UTC 2014

Hello,

Is it possible to make bind answering slowly to requests ?

Here is the context : we installed new DNS servers but some clients with
static IP configuration are still using the old ones.

We enabled queries logging to track the badly-configured workstations
and warned the persons but as far as is it still working, they don't
seem to be willing to change their static IP configuration to DHCP.

Before stopping completely the old servers I'd like to slowly degrade
the service and make the old DNS slow in order to force them to react.

I'm sure it's possible to do it at a network-level (with iptables) but
I'm curious to know if it's possible to do it directly with bind.

Regards,

Nicolas