Query regardign CNAME

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Jan 1 14:54:35 UTC 2014

On 01.01.14 13:00, Gaurav Kansal wrote:
>I have 2 domains and i want  both have exact similar entries.
>
>What I tried is to have entries in one zone file and in another I tried
>something as mentioned below:-
>
>*.xyz.gov.in       CNAME *.xyz.in
>
>where xyz.gov.in and xyz.in are my two domains.

>I want to ask is it possible to have a CNAME configuration by which I can
>divert all queries for my xyz.gov.in domain to xyz.in domain.

not like this. Note that:

- "*" in source address will apply for all non-existing domains, which means,
any domain already existing in xyz.gov.in will NOT be affected.
- "*" in destination will not work as wildcard.

the DNAME already recommended by Dave Warren is what you want:

xyz.gov.in.	DNAME	xyz.in.

another possibility is to include the same file to zone files for both
domains as Leonard Mills recommended.  This way you can also have other,
different records in both domains, good when you want transition from one
domain to another.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.