whois expiration limit?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu Feb 20 06:36:49 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-19 23:29, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> Thanks.  My thinking was the limit was on the whois database since the
> Registrar was telling me it was registered for more than 10 years.
>
> It appears based on this Registration FAQ regarding “compliance” that
> the registrar may simply be showing it as 2024 because they can’t
> really report 2025 and be in compliance.

Just to be clear, it's not about showing something different for
compliance, the domain is only registered for 9.something years, full stop.

ICANN/Internic is the ultimate authority within their gTLD roots,
everyone else is just a reseller, so at this point you've been sold
something they're unable to deliver -- But since they can deliver it
over time, it should work itself out.

In other words, what you have is a domain for 9 years, and the promise
of one more. That's fair, most service contacts are based on one party
or the other doing something and the other promising to do something later.

Luckily registrars don't have much of an incentive to jerk people
around, saving themselves $9 isn't worth the lawsuit and potential loss
of accreditation.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/