Same internal and external zone

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Feb 14 18:24:11 UTC 2014

There is nothing that precludes you from having the same zone on different DNS servers.   You make each "authoritative" so that any look up that hits that DNS server gets that server's records.   You can then have separate entries for some items and the same for others.

We do that here with at least one domain where our internal Windows servers keeps track of internally USED IPs and our external facing DNS servers keep track of externally reachable IPs.  For the few records where we want to have the internal user use the externally reachable IP we just add the record to both.