Problem with BIND 9.10.1-P1 recursion limits

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Tue Dec 9 16:13:06 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 02:45:13PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> The new recursion limits (or at least the default values for them) seem
> to have some problems. Simple example, if I start named for recursive
> service, no forwarders, debugging enabled, and run "dig @::1 www.ibm.com a"
> I get a failure with numerous "exceeded max queries" log entries for gtld
> servers etc.

Lack of convinction that we'd chosen the correct defaults is the reason
we made them configurable. You can adjust max-recursion-queries if you want
to.

However, in this case I think it's because you had an empty cache, and
sending a second query will clear the problem up.  In a future release, we
may want to lift the restrictions temporarily while priming.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.