Value of memory

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Aug 7 03:39:08 UTC 2014

I have a server that is only running bind 9.8.2 (Centos 6.5).  It has
2Gb memory and free reports ~1.7Gb used.

I am looking at replacing this server with an armv7 board running
Redsleeve (until Centos 7 is out and stable for armv7).  I have a choice
of boards, one with 1Gb memory ($60) and one with 2Gb memory ($90).

This server servers out my zones and supports the couple handfull of
systems on my net.  I would like to eventually get to DNSSEC, but that
is another stalled project.

About the only meaningful difference between the two boards (btw,
Cubieboard2 and Cubietruck) for my needs is the memory.  I know more
memory is better, but how much better?

Oh, why the move to arm?  Power consumption.  ROI for the C2 board is
one year just on power saving.