Metazones or Something Else?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Mon Aug 4 17:26:38 UTC 2014

> So to the best of your knowledge this functionality is still on drawing
> board, unless implemented out-of-band?  (i.e. a perl script to parse
> metazone.zone, and create /etc/named.d/*.conf files)

Or run "rndc addzone".

There's currently no supported way to perform in-band zone provisioning
via the DNS itself.  I do have access to the metazone implementation that
Vixie wrote his paper about, and I can send it to you if you like, but I'm
not sure how useful you'll find it.  There might also be some interesting
tricks possible with DLZ or with redhat's "dynDB" LDAP extension (which we
plan to include in BIND 9.11 but is currently only available as a set of
patches).

Improving DNS provisioning is a hot topic for future development, but
we're still just in the requirements-gathering phase.  Would you like to
share what it is you hope to do in more detail?

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.