rndc (and now nsupdate too)

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Fri Aug 1 16:34:45 UTC 2014

This recent thread, in which people are describing their scripts and GUI provisioning systems makes me think we should recruit a few of you who think you have a sweet provisioning system, to do a WebEX and describe it for everyone else who is looking for a better system.

At the RIPE meeting in Poland I saw a GUI front end for updating resource records that a French university network team had created and a very impressive system using Ansible to rapidly transform a NSD auth server into a BIND auth server and back again (including translating zone files). There are a number of tools and cookbooks out there, if the tool you use is not one you developed, but it is public domain, open source or otherwise freely available and you think it is really helpful, it would be useful for others to hear about that too.

If you have a reasonably full-featured, effective, free provisioning system that could be shared and successfully used in another environment, and you are willing to do a presentation on it (perhaps share an hour slot with one other person), please email me unicast.  If we get any volunteers, we’ll schedule something and advertise it back here on bind-users.

Vicky
Product Manager, isc.org