Forwarding request to another DNS server but the same domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Apr 30 20:15:54 UTC 2014

Being authoritative means that you know everything about the zone.

If you know everything about a zone, why ask anyone else?

Split DNS does not follow the DNS paradigm, so there is no "standard"
way to implement it, and despite many people asking over the years,
there is no "NXDOMAIN failover forwarding" mechanism in BIND, nor is
there any clear consensus that there *should* be (<insert standard
diatribe against forwarding in general>).

Bite the bullet: do parallel updates to both zones, for records that
need to be present in both versions.

                             - Kevin