Clients Matching Multiple Views

Marty Lee marty at maui-systems.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 18:07:37 UTC 2014

On 11 Apr 2014, at 18:59, John Wobus <jw354 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 4:14 AM, Steven Carr wrote:
>> However, assuming you are using views on the same IP address and not
>> splitting it across internal/external servers as that would screw up
>> NS records), you can reuse the same zone file so those zones that
>> appear in both internal and external views refer back to the same zone
>> file, then when you update that zone file both views are updated.
>
> My understanding has been that two views that are masters for
> a zone can safely share a zone file if the zone isn't dynamic (e.g.
> dnsupdate, dnssec auto signing, etc), but that two views of
> a slave zone shouldn't do that: you could have two
> different views independently rewriting the same file, a bad thing even
> if the files are known to be identical.  Furthermore, allowing that could
> conceivably show no problems very much of the time, masking the actual
> risk.
>
> If I'm wrong, that would be a good thing to know.
>
> John Wobus
> Cornell U

If you were to use a DLZ for the dynamic zone rather than a file,
then the multiple writer integrity can be handled by the DLZ code
(i.e. palming it off to a RDBMS to deal with).

Just a thought - but generally I agree that multiple writers to
a file is just asking for trouble…

-----
Marty Lee                         e: marty at maui-systems.co.uk
Technical Director                v: +44 845 869 2661
Maui Systems Ltd                  f: +44 871 433 8922
Scotland, UK                      w: http://www.maui-systems.co.uk