Clients Matching Multiple Views

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Apr 9 15:53:13 UTC 2014

When you say "alternate zone", do you mean *schizophrenic* (i.e. some
leaf-node names resolve to different RDATA between the versions), or do
you mean only that the versions bear a subset/superset relation to each
other, at least with respect to leaf nodes (SOA/NS records being a
different matter).

We have mostly a subset/superset arrangement, so our solution is for our
homegrown frontend (which only deals with leaf nodes) to automatically
synchronize the internal version to the external version. A single
transaction, from a user perspective, potentially updates both versions
of the zone on the backend.

I say "mostly" because some vendor's products (*cough*Microsoft*cough*)
have a hard requirement for schizophrenic DNS. Fortunately, we only have
a handful of those, treated as special exceptions to our normal processes.

                 - Kevin