RRL probably not useful for DNS IP blacklists,

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Sep 24 10:02:29 UTC 2013

Vernon Schryver <vjs at rhyolite.com> wrote:

> It's convenient that with binary zone files and the dynamic update
> protocol, loading from text (or signing a whole zone) is not something
> you need to do every hour on the hour.

Right. Timings from named-checkzone give a rough idea of a worst-case cold
start.

I ran some numbers with a 500,000 record zone (generated with the same
script as before) which is comfortably small enough to sign. These are the
raw format zone files:

-rw-r--r--  1 fanf2  named   31639161 Sep 24 10:32 x.dotat.at
-rw-r--r--  1 fanf2  named  301188426 Sep 24 10:37 x.dotat.at.signed

named-checkzone unsigned:
        2.73 real         2.62 user         0.10 sys
    120396  maximum resident set size

named-compilezone text-to-raw:
        5.82 real         5.70 user         0.06 sys
    120380  maximum resident set size

named-checkzone signed:
        8.32 real         7.96 user         0.35 sys
    549100  maximum resident set size

dnssec-signzone:
      233.97 real       391.06 user         2.44 sys
    597316  maximum resident set size

> By the way, how much smaller would that DNSBL be if it could use
> wildcards?  I suspect a real (as opposed to synthetic) DNSBL has
> a lot of repetition in all except the last labels.

It depends a lot on the list. If it's a DUL then wildcards will be a win;
not so much if it's listing something like compromised servers where
address ranges often have bad mixed with good. Having said that, I've
sampled a hundred random /24s from the Spamhaus Zen list and they are
mostly all full or all empty. (But I didn't check to see if the answers
all matched in the full /24s.)

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.