bind/sendmail resolving.. (NXDOMAIN)

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Sep 20 23:33:18 UTC 2013

"host" performs A, AAAA and MX queries, by default. If you want to limit
it to a specific query type, use the "-t" option.

Having said that, I didn't get an NXDOMAIN for any of the query types,
from any of the delegated nameservers, when using dig, but I'm getting
SERVFAILs when using host, *after* the initial A-record query (as seen
in debug mode). I'm not that familiar with "host" to be able to
troubleshoot this very easily. The 0-second-TTL on the record probably
isn't helping. It seems likely (rad = Radware, probably) that it's
actually load-balancing devices answering these queries, rather than
actual nameservers.

Last but not least, it's not legal to point an MX record at an *alias*,
and that's probably the root cause of your main problem (sendmail
failures) here...

                                     - Kevin