detect if zone/s is frozen

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Sep 4 08:50:43 UTC 2013

Mike Hoskins (michoski) <michoski at cisco.com> wrote:
> /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >I would suggest that if you're making much use of rndc freeze, YDIW.
> >Consider using nsupdate(8) to make your changes.
>
> True, but I just setup two new networks where the tenants wanted exactly
> this capability...so use cases exist. [...]
>
> Failing an easy monitoring solution (I don't see anything in terms of rndc
> options, or old/new stats output), you might consider creating a wrapper
> that does the rndc freeze/vi/update serial to mtime/rndc thaw and post it
> clearly in /etc/motd.  Not perfect, but would mostly work except when you
> get distracted in the middle of the vi session.  :-)

Better option: use nsdiff, which calculates the differences between the
live version of your zone and a master file that you edit, and turns the
result into an nsupdate script.

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/conf/bind/bin/nsdiff

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.