detect if zone/s is frozen

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Tue Sep 3 21:24:00 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----

From: /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk>
Date: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:17 PM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: Re: detect if zone/s is frozen

>On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:31:08PM -0700, Justin T Pryzby wrote:
>> Is there a nice way to tell if any zone is frozen (or a
>> specific zone)?  I'm hoping to implement a nagios check, since
>> I have several times gotten distracted while making an update,
>> and forgot to "thaw"ed the zone until something odd happens
>> later on.
>
>I would suggest that if you're making much use of rndc freeze, YDIW.
>Consider using nsupdate(8) to make your changes.

True, but I just setup two new networks where the tenants wanted exactly
this capability...so use cases exist.  It got me thinking, and I was
hoping for a answer all day.  :-)  It would be nice to be able to monitor,
since just looking for missing jnl's or something obvious doesn't work
(maybe a command to force jnl rewrite for any thawed zones would do it,
then you could really just monitor for jnl's missing >threshold).

Failing an easy monitoring solution (I don't see anything in terms of rndc
options, or old/new stats output), you might consider creating a wrapper
that does the rndc freeze/vi/update serial to mtime/rndc thaw and post it
clearly in /etc/motd.  Not perfect, but would mostly work except when you
get distracted in the middle of the vi session.  :-)