DNSSEC and split DNS

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Wed Oct 23 23:11:30 UTC 2013

What is the recommended practice for adding DNSSEC to an environment
that currently uses split DNS?

Apologies as I'm sure this has come up before, but most discussion I
found on bind-users was from 1999, and this isn't covered in the ARM.

I did find this draft (not RFC) from 2007, but even the author
acknowledges that some examples given can invite misconfiguration:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krishnaswamy-dnsop-dnssec-split-view-04

On the surface, split DNS and DNSSEC have seemingly opposite goals: One
seeks to provide different responses to queries for the same resource,
and the other seeks to prevent it.

Is there some way of reconciling these?

Thanks

dn