ARIN IP assignments

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 07:25:48 UTC 2013

On 10/08/2013 12:54 AM, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I have a client who has been assigned a /20 from ARIN.
>
> They asked me to help them with their DNS.
>
> The DNS for me is the easy part. except...
>
> ARIN has told them that you use the DNS to set up the routing so that
> the traffic for this /20 gets routed to the correct up-stream provider.
>
> Is this correct? If so, where in DNS do you set up routing.
> if it's not correct, what am I missing? I always thought DNS had 100%
> nothing to do with routing on the 'net. Boy am I confused.

You're right, they're wrong. As Mark says - probably the message has
become garbled.

The only think they *might* be referring to is appropriate inetnum:
entries in the ARIN DB, which are used to drive permissions for both
route: objects (which some providers use to build filters) as well as
reverse delegations.