Bind seems to loose track of DNSSEC keys

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Oct 7 22:42:10 UTC 2013

In message <52528314.4010809 at z74.net>, Maurice Janssen writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've setup a few domains with DNSSEC and ran into a problem. There's not
> much to be found (apart from a similar problem on this list:
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2013-January/089416.html)
> therefore I hope somebody here can help me out.
>
> I have a hidden master with a couple of zones, two public authoritative
> slave servers.
> The master runs Bind 9.9.2, the slaves run NSD.  All systems are running
> OpenBSD 5.3-stable.  I use "auto-dnssec maintain;" and "inline-signing
> yes;".
>
> I largely followed the instructions on
> https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00711/0/In-line-Signing-With-NSEC3-in-BIND-9.9-
> A-Walk-through.html
> At first, everything seemed OK.  The zones are signed and pass the test
> at dnsviz.net.  Reloading a zone after changing the unsigned zone file
> works OK.
>
> The problem is that after some time Bind seems to loose track of the
> keys for most of the zones.
> At this moment, only one of the zones is OK:
>
> # rndc signing -list z74.nl
> Done signing with key 16845/RSASHA256
> Done signing with key 37936/RSASHA256
>
> All other zones report:
>
> # rndc signing -list z74.net
> No signing records found

The "signing" records show the progress of the initial signing of
the zone.  The only reason they are not removed automatically is
so that the operator can know when the zone is fully signed to start
the timer for adding DS records to the parent zone.  Named uses
incremential signing which can take some time with really large
zones.  With small zones it takes seconds.

These records are not required for named to continue to sign the
zone.  Named uses the RRSIG records combined with sig-validity-interval
to workout what needs to be re-signed and when.  It uses the DNSKEY
records in the zone to look for the private keys.

As for why they are disappearing, I suspect that we are just failing
to preserve them at some point which is a minor bug that needs to
be addressed.  As long as the zone has completed signing there
removal shouldn't cause problems.