Dig gives ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 15:46:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Balanagaraju Munukutla <9balan at sg.ibm.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> To explain more on the below. We are trying to do a query on MX record for
> abcd.com.sg. domain to the Authoritative nameserver xxxx.com from my pc.
> You can see the reply as below. Done this mean that the  Authoritative
> nameserver xxxx.com failure or this PC where I am doing the query is
> blocking to communicate that local DNS server configured on it.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Nagaraj

Again, all that can be determined is that your PC is not getting a response
to it query. There is no information to provide any clue as to whether the
PC or the server is at fault.

I would suggest packet capture. On a Windows system, I suggest wireshark.
The same for the server, if it is yours. If the server is Unix and you have
access to do so, just simple tcpdump will work well.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com