Recursive BIND server doesn't execute recursion for IPv6 fd00::/8 reverse zone

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 25 17:42:14 UTC 2013

On 25/11/13 17:31, Listas wrote:
> On 25-11-2013 14:22, Phil Mayers wrote:
>>
>> No, because you told your recursive it was authoritative and gave it
>> an empty zone file.
>>

> Thank you Phil.
>
> But it is a private network zone. The query cannot go to the DNS root
> servers, must be forwarded to the authoritative server for the zone
> (ns1.mydomain.com).

You have not understood me, or I've been unclear.

You have the following config on your recursive:

zone "5.a.8.3.2.e.3.f.0.0.d.f.ip6.arpa" IN {
   type master;
   file "...";
}

THIS is your problem; the zone file contains nothing except a single NS
record at zone apex, so queries to the zone don't return anything.

You will either need to:

  1. Stop being a master for the zone, and forward/stub appropriately
  2. Put a proper zone cut (delegation) into your local master, pointing
at your authoritative server