BIND9-ARM (HTML) feature request: better hyperlinking in/of chapter 6

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Nov 21 15:14:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 09:43:40PM +0000, Evan Hunt wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 03:27:59PM -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> > Looking at the HTML source for the Table of Contents, it seems
> > like someone had this idea before but didn't follow through.
> > There are numerous links to plain-language anchors amidst mostly
> > the "id25xxxxx" anchor names. (These probably had something to do
> > with the "DocBook XSL Stylesheets V1.71.1" generator.)
>
> Note that the HTML isn't the source, it's generated from
> doc/arm/Bv9ARM-book.xml and from the various ".docbook" files
> throughout the source tree.

Right, I figured. It seems that I might add "id" tag modifiers to
various <sectX> and <command> and <optional> tags, and that would at
least create the anchors.

The daunting part is that I'm not sure what this will do:

<command id="some-named.conf-setting">some-named.conf-setting
</command>
See <xref linkend="some-named.conf-setting"/>

... because at this point, it looks like the only anchors are in
section headers. Perhaps more code will have to be added to properly
deal with these links? Or is there some other xref modifier which
would do it?

(I suppose I can try it and see what happens.)

> > I might try to work on this myself, but I thought I should toss
> > the idea out for comments and suggestions first. Specifically, I
> > suppose that whatever work that is done should be compatible with
> > the DocBook source and other BIND9-ARM formats.
>
> We'd certainly be glad to have help with it.

hehe, oops, I guess I'm committed now :)