Can I have Inbound load balancing achieved with below settings

Shawn Bakhtiar shashaness at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 23:15:09 UTC 2013

>From a networking perspective though (in a multi-homed environment)... this really should be handled by using IGRP and AS numbers. In a situation where the link is bouncing, there may be sporadic packets getting though the link. IE the DNS gets back 1.1.1.1 but on the next packet its down again.

Using an AS number and IGRP you don't need to have different DNS servers providing different IP addresses for the same server. You simply provide the same IP address out of both links and the routers (in determining best rout) choose which router to take, via ISP 1 or ISP 2 which serves up the same information.

This is also important for applications like Apache when handling session information as a cookie at 1.1.1.1 is different than a cookie at 2.2.2.2 (if security is enforced properly).

The bellow configuration can also make SSL difficult, a lot of application layer stuff can go wrong when the link starts bouncing or is intermittent which IGRP and ASN can handle transparently.

IMHO trying to solve this via DNS is really complicating the issue far greater than it needs to be.