Listen queue overflow

Vinny_Abello at Dell.com Vinny_Abello at Dell.com
Thu Nov 14 14:24:21 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

I recently had a recursive server running BIND 9.9.4 on FreeBSD 9.2 appear to wedge and stop responding to clients. I had a flurry of these errors on the console:

sonewconn: pcb 0xfffffe007211d930: Listen queue overflow: 16 already in queue awaiting acceptance

I couldn't trace that directly back to the named process by the time I looked at it, but I suspect that's what it was since it's really the only thing this machine is used for and it stopped working. It seems to have oddly become unstuck when I logged into the machine and started looking around. I never restarted named. Everything else on the server was running normally from what I could tell and no other errors existed that I could find. Unfortunately my logs rolled over too fast to check if named had logged anything else interesting.

>From what I've found in googling, this is an OS level error stating the process isn't accepting new TCP connections and it's an application fault. I've only ever seen this on this particular machine, and just this once. My other recursive servers are running older versions of FreeBSD.

Has anyone come across this before and know how to prevent or correct this properly?

Thanks!

-Vinny