stealth with views?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Nov 7 22:56:12 UTC 2013

There's no requirement that the contents of SOA.MNAME have a matching A
record in the zone. Even if such a formal requirement existed, you might
be able to satisfy it by putting an A record of 0.0.0.0 in the zone.
That doesn't expose much :-)

If you're paranoid about zone expiration, tune the EXPIRE setting really
high. Just be aware, if you do that, then if you change providers some
day, your old provider may be serving up a stale version of the zone for
a while, even if you stop zone transfers to them.

For that matter, you're not limited to using standards-based
master/slave replication. Many folks use rsync to keep their slave zone
files in sync with their master (you'd define the zone as "master"
everywhere and then use some out-of-band mechanism whenever it changes,
e.g. rndc, to tell the "slaves" to reload the zone). Many commercial DNS
systems (e.g. Infoblox) have their own proprietary replication
mechanisms built-in. Once you depart from standards-based master/slave
replication, then zone expiration has only the meaning that your other
replication mechanism assigns to it, or perhaps no meaning at all.

I've been running a "hidden master" setup for decades, for all of our
external-facing zones. It works well. I can't imagine doing it any other
way -- am I going to expose my real primary master to the Internet? No
thanks.

                                     - Kevin