architecture question

btb at bitrate.net btb at bitrate.net
Fri May 10 23:39:43 UTC 2013

On May 10, 2013, at 01.18, Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote:

> On 2013-05-08 11:13, btb wrote:
>> it's also mildly humorous that they used to quite religiously endorse .local, in some documents even categorizing use of the same domain name on an internal and external network as a "security risk".
>
> Keep in mind that this was before ubiquitous, always-on TCP/IP was the norm. It was coming, but we weren't there yet and Microsoft was still catching up.

i disagree.  in 1999, when .local was first referenced [and only in id form], short of perhaps the residential environment, always-on tcp/ip was commonplace - and i'm doubtful you'd even find microsoft references that early to it anyway, since microsoft was still catching up [this i heartily agree with, as they always are] :)

-ben