architecture question

Michael McNally mcnally at isc.org
Thu May 9 03:58:32 UTC 2013

On 5/8/13 9:33 AM, Jeremy P wrote:
> However, there are times where registering a real domain just isn't
> practical.  For example, I'm not going to ask all of the students in my
> courses to go out and register a .com for the semester.  It would be a
> waste of money as their systems never leave the local network, except
> through a NAT connection.  So in those types of instances, I'm assuming
> .lan or .test are safest?

The flip side of this is that whatever you teach them they are going
to take out into the wider world with them.  If you teach them to use
.local or .lan, some of them (at least) are going to continue using
.local or .lan long after your class is over, at least until they run
into enough problems to frustrate them into something more compatible
with current practice.