Mailing list "reply-to" setting

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed May 8 22:28:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 13:59 -0400, Chip Marshall wrote:

> On 2013-05-08, Steven Carr <sjcarr at gmail.com> sent:
> > Any chance someone can correct the settings on this mailing
> > list to reply to the list by default instead of the user
> > posting the message?
>
> I'd argue the settings are already correct. Having the mailing
> list software rewrite the Reply-to line causes information to be
> lost, and can make it difficult to reply to the original poster
> of a message.

I argue different, If I post on a list, I want anyone replying to my
list post, to also be on list, and same expectation for others posting
on list, ie, if you post on list like now, you replies should go on
list, unless you (or I) specifically ask for off-list replies.

If I want direct, I'll be bad and scrape the list and mail you all
direct :)

POC: This email address is for lists only, it is not my personal
address, anything not put in its appropriate mailing list folder is
placed in   "z_lists direct"  not my inbox, now I am a member of some 37
mailing lists, of which 26 are active non-new/announce types, so the
z_lists direct folder named deliberately to sit at the bottom may not be
noticed, and frankly I don't always bother checking it for days, given
99% of the posts in it ends up being spam that gets passed our anti-spam
rules - years of lists web archiving see's to that.