architecture question

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed May 8 21:22:56 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-08 13:50, Mike Hoskins (michoski) wrote:
> The spirit of education is often saving money based on a former life as a
> lab tech.  While cheap, the proposal to "just go register a real one!"
> seems good for $registrar, but potentially bad for the Internet (will we
> end up with a bunch of garbage domains that are never used again, and
> might actually want to be used by someone else, but will then be squatted
> when they expire? yada yada), and better suited for business vs school
> networks.
>
> Also, I had a digital entity long before entering a college setting.  I
> suspect kids these days are even more likely to have similar.  If real is
> the answer, maybe most students wouldn't have to do anything at all.
>
> I really think a lab experiment would be fine using local TLDs, but I
> guess it's impossible to really know how valid some of the concerns are
> unless we sit through the class or see the course material.  :-)

A reasonable compromise might be a single domain purchased for use in
course, with students using subdomains. This would cover a
best-of-all-worlds, including internal and external considerations.

It would also let the students' environments talk to each other, if this
is desirable (and if the teacher adds appropriate DNS records, and the
students configure properly)

This is the approach my girlfriend used with a WordPress course she
taught since one of the goals was to allow students to experiment and
play from home and it worked well, but it would just as well with NS
delegations.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/