Stalling slave transfers

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Wed May 8 10:25:04 UTC 2013

On 08/05/13 08:26, Tom Sommer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with one of 3 slave servers, all set up the exact same
> way, with the exact same bind version and configuration.
>
> One slave has a problem transfering zones from the master.
>
> The logfiles are flooded with "received notify for zone" .. "refresh in
> progress, refresh check queued" lines and "rndc status" returns a
> constant high number of "soa queries in progress".
> After a few hours the zones are transfers, so the connection to the
> master is working, but there is a major delay. I tried resetting the
> slave and transfering ALL slave zones again, which worked fine
> instantly. The problem still appeared again after a few hours though.
>
> The master has three network-paths, one on external IP, one on internal
> IP and one on IPv6. All 3 paths work fine, because the transfers happen
> after an hour or so.
>
> There is no hints in the master's log.
> The other two slaves are running perfectly, no errors or delays what so
> ever.
>
> Bind version 9.9.2-P2 (recently upgraded to).
>
> Any hints would be appreciated, as I feel like I've exhausted most options.
>
> Thank you.

Have a look at this KB article (you'll need to register to view - but
registration is open to all):

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00726/30/Tuning-your-BIND-configuration-effectively-for-zone-transfers-particularly-with-many-frequently-updated-zones.html

Also - and this isn't covered in that article (yet) - if you're using
views, then use-alt-transfer-source defaults to 'yes'.  You might want
to set it explicitly to 'no' or to define alt-transfer-source
and/or alt-transfer-source-v6.