DDOS attack Bind 9.9 - P2

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Fri May 3 17:06:08 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng." <lkchen at ksu.edu>
>
> > So does rate limiting cover when the attacker walks my DNS zone to
> > attack an IP?
>
> that depends on what is meant by "rate limiting" and "walking a DNS
> zone".
>
> Simple rate limiting that counts all requests ostensibly from a
> single IP address regardless of (qname,qtype) differs from response
> rate limiting (RRL) which counts distinct responses.
>
> "Walking a zone" can differ from walking a zone's valid names
> (perhaps
> based on NSEC RRs or arithmetic as in a reverse zone).

Well, if you had left the context of my reply in, it would be clear that I was referring to the RRL patch.

And, I said in my message that I don't know the details of the walking....the person relaying the incident to me didn't specify the kind of walking, which is why I said, "I'm curious what kind of walking it was doing".

Because I wondered whether all/mostly NXDOMAIN/NSEC3 responses would get limited.

I've played around with simple rate limiting before...on some caching servers...what a mess that turned out.  Since it was one host that was mainly being bad, it was easier to just block it....