NS geo-distribution

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Thu May 2 01:52:36 UTC 2013

On 04/30/13 03:30, Dave Warren wrote:
> On 2013-04-30 00:49, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>> Don't forget that most users will get the address out of "some"
>> cache, not directly from the authoritative servers.
>
> Absolutely. This is even more true in our case as many of our clients
> are serve very local areas and 2-3 ISPs and 3-4 mobile providers
> probably cover 90%+ of their clients.
>

> On 2013-04-29 21:48, Chris Buxton wrote:
>> RTT means almost always hitting the fastest server.
>
> My concern with relying on RTT is that since most of our sites are
> very low volume, will it be effective or does it work better when a
> host has higher traffic? How long do resolvers remember a particular
> NS's RTT?
>
> We have a handful of Europe based clients, but their number is quite
> small, so I'm not sure if we'd be significantly hurting the majority
> by introducing a high-latency server into the mix or not, or even how
> to evaluate the results.
>
> I realize I've probably spent more time thinking about it than I'll
> possibly save anyone else anyway, so perhaps that's my answer.
>
> I appreciate all the input.
>
> --
> Dave Warren
> http://www.hireahit.com/
> http://ca.linkedin.com/in/davejwarren

I may be late to the party, but I am just finishing a project to move
LCR's tertiary name server.  Over the years, I have been amazed at how
small and quick DNS traffic is.  With caching, it gets even quicker as
far as the client is concerned.

Even with a few Europe based clients, dns won't be the slow part. And
after reading some material on dns diversity, I decided to move one of
my name servers to a hosting company.  I picked a low priced company
with a virtual machine running OpenSuSE.  Installed NAMED plus the RRL
patches from source and I was done.  Picked up one IPv4 address and one
IPv6 address and starting configuring zones.

The virtual runs nothing else and I am paying $20/month(should convert
to yearly billing and save a couple more bucks).  I am in the Chicago
area and the virtual machine is in Dallas, TX.  Sounds like excellent
geo diversity to me.  Plus Texas has it's own power grid.  So we even
have major power grid separation.

The dns diversity article I found stated that it's better to get the
right IP address and not be able to get to that IP address than to not
be able to find any DNS servers for the zone.  Email is handled more
politely in that respect especially.  Plus I remember that the Internet
is a best effort network.  There is no guarantied connectivity  on the
Internet.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

P.S. Maybe you would like to use that box I have for a tertiary server.
It's got plenty of cpu cycles and extra bandwidth under that hosting
package!