Understanding rndc referral statistics

M. Meadows sun-guru at live.com
Fri Mar 29 15:13:50 UTC 2013

Thinking about this ... perhaps this is more to do with the behavior of BIND 9.3 versus BIND 9.7. Did the referral mechanism change? Here are my thoughts on the subject:

Nameserver A is the authority for zone1.com and it is the authority for sub.zone1.com. Sub.zone1.com is delegated from zone1.com. If a query comes to nameserver A from a resolver asking for info about host.sub.zone1.com and the namserver looks in zone1.com and sees the delegation of sub.zone1.com an inefficient method of handling the query would be to pass back a referral to sub.zone1.com (which just points back at itself). But that would work and would result in a referral. In a more efficient application ... the nameserver would recognize that the delegated authority for sub.zone1.com is ... itself. It would complete the query of host.sub.zone1.com and return an answer instead of a referral. Am I on the right track with this or just wasting my time with wild and inaccurate speculation?