Suspecious DNS traffic

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Mar 26 19:05:56 UTC 2013

In message <1364323396.89012.YahooMailNeo at web190806.mail.sg3.yahoo.com>, babu d
heen writes:

> Dear Brown,
>
> I am using Stateful firewall from leading vendor company.

And you have not configured it correctly.

> So let me know
> why still my server initiate connection to remote DNS server on non
> standard destination port?

It doesn't.  You send to port 53 from any port.  The replies come
back from port 53 to any port.  A properly configured stateful
firewall lets these reply packets in.  Your firewall is dropping
them.  I do mean any port not just those greater 1024.

A stateful firewall still needs to be configured to record the state
necessary to identify the reply packets.

e.g.
     pass out quick proto udp from any to any keep state keep frag

This say to record that we sent a UDP packet from any address and
port to any other address and port so that we will accept the reply
traffic and also to not block UDP fragments.  For UDP that state table
entry will exist for a few seconds before it is cleaned up.

For TCP the firewall will track the TCP state transitions.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org