BIND 9.8.2: forward zone not working

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Tue Mar 19 00:27:14 UTC 2013

Using BIND 9.8.2

When you setup Samba 4 AD DC using BIND9_DLZ and your domain has external servers (eg: www,mail) at external providers
this means that the ISP and the internal network nameservers will both have SOA record for the domain.

/etc/resolv.conf looks like this:

    domain company.com
    nameserver 192.168.2.105

/etc/named.conf contains:

    forwarders  { isp_nameservers; };
    recursion   yes;

What is the preferred way to forward DNS requests to the ISP nameservers in order to resolve the domain's external
servers without using BIND views?

I tried using a forward zone but it does not work in 9.8.2.

    zone "www.company.com" {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders  { isp_nameservers; };
    };

Everything resolves fine both our domain and other external domains with the exception of our domain's external server's
(www,mail).

What do we need to get this forward zone working?

-Gerry