Can two views be layered?

Novosielski, Ryan novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri Mar 15 22:56:57 UTC 2013

Hi all. Running BIND 9.6 I believe it is. Not important what version as if there is a version that can do this and I'm not running it, I can go there.

Is it possible to have a view that is in essence a list of exceptions to the main zone? eg. the example.com domain exists, so does www.example.com, but for a small subset of machines I need it to resolve to a different address -- every other address should come from the main zone.

I can think of a few ways this could have been implemented (allowing one to overlay a zone, having a duplicate zone with only that address that can then do some kind of include of the main zone, etc.) but I can't find the right search terms to figure out whether this is possible as is.

My suspicion is "not possible," but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.