forwarding & query-source (was Re: name caching and forwarding)

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Mar 2 15:16:28 UTC 2013

On 01.03.13 17:23, Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. wrote:
> I thought I had read somewhere the query-source default is to try making
> queries from all the IPs on my system.

No, the default is to use special IP "0.0.0.0" that causes the system (not
the BIND) to select source IP address.

> And, my DNS servers have two IPs on them....using policy based routing,
> the first IP routes out on my fast though less reliable internet
> connection and the second IP routes out on my slower but reliable (though
> the router is acting up on this link now) internet connection.

You are apparently aware that source IP address has nothing to do with the
link the packets are out by default - this is why you've had to configure
policy routing.

> Problem I found was that when my fast internet connection goes
> down....queries stop working.  Had to explicitly set query-source to use
> the second IP.

When your link is down, the packets sent through the link will not be
delivered.

The whole solution about using multiple links requires provider-independent
IP Addresses, both ISP's cooperation or much of playing with routing, NAT
and other servers' configuration - not only DNS, if you want e.g.  your mail
to get delivered.

> So, I thought I could trick my caching servers to handle the dual routing
> that I wanted, by setting the two prod servers to 'forward first' to my
> dev server, which sends its queries out on fast connection and assume that
> they would query out over the slow connection if the 'forward first'
> doesn't yield an answer.

you can do this by using server {} bind statement for the forwarders, with
different IP in query-source and possibly other *-source options.

> And, then I was surprised by a flood of email.  My mailservers weren't
> able to resolve addresses because the forwarder wasn't responding....  I
> suppose its because its udp it isn't quick about deciding that there's no
> service to answer.

This has nothing to do with UDP. The bind tries to forward and has own
timeouts (3 to 12 seconds iirc) when forwarder in unreachable.

>  Does this timeout problem also impact "forward only"
> and a list of forwarders?  I have a set of servers with 10.x.x.x IPs with
> local caching DNS servers configured to forward only to a pair of caching
> DNS servers with public IPs.

Yes, with the difference that "forward only" will only try forwarders, and
when they fail, it will fail too. "forward first" will do the resolution by
itself when all forwarders fail, thus it should be more reliable.

> So, how would I make forwarding not prevent resolution?  Or can I get bind
> to try both IPs in trying to do queries?

BIND always wants to be responsive, so it will repeatedly try all forwarders
(it will prefer servers that respond but time to time it re-tries those
unresponsive too).

I'm not sure whether you are solving the problem with multiple links at
right level.  Your router(s) could possibly detect the link outage sooner
and switch to another link, maybe with NATting to other IP.  However, your
DNS problem chould be solved by BIND configuration.
Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.