Secondary DNS question...

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Jun 26 23:13:00 UTC 2013

>>> All very interesting, but I'm afraid at my level of expertise on DNS,
>>> I'm
>>> not following.  If I'm broken, how do I attempt to fix?  Someone
>>> mentioned
>>> that our ns1.starionhost.net was not authoritative.  How does one even
>>> decide that?  As far as I know I haven't had any issues until now...
>

>> On Jun 26, 2013, at 12:38 AM, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
>>> Do you have a box such as a firewall or load-balancer sitting in
>>> front of
>>> ns1?
>
> On 26.06.13 01:46, SH Development wrote:
>> No, the box is hanging right off the internet on a static IP.
>
> there's apparently something wrong about your server or its firewall. The
> DNS responses (at least for the SOA) come out broken (at least they get
> invalid here), however I have no idea in which way they are broken.
>
> Maybe someone with better DNS knowledge could look at output I have posted
> before. Available at
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2013-June/090970.html or pcap
> format at http://test.fantomas.sk/74.87.108.83.dns.pcap

Matus,

Your previous post definitely seems to indicate a network problem, but
I'm not sure what it might be.

Meanwhile, I can't seem to find an address record for
ns2.starionhost.net in the starionhost.net zone. That's likely at least
part of the reliability problem with the starionline.com zone.

hth,

Doug