servfail response message question

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 26 14:24:24 UTC 2013

www.example.com is a
> CNAME for www.gslb.example.comÝ
Gslb.example.com has an NS record pointing to

Client sends query for www.example.com to Ubuntu DNS server. The
> Ubuntu DNS server sends a query to the load balancer for www.gslb.example.com
> and the LB responds to the Ubuntu DNS server with the right A record in the
> answer section. However, the Ubuntu server responds to the client with
> servfail.Ý

When I look at the pcap from the Ubuntu server, the LB is

Ryans-MacBook-Pro:~ ryanc$ dig @10.10.1.50 www.example.com <-me

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @10.10.1.50
> www.example.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection
> timed out; no servers could be reached

Do you have any ideas as to why this
> is happening?

Ryan Chervenka

Why is the Ubuntu server sending the query to the LB at all? To emulate
how a caching server works, you should be sending queries WITHOUT the RD
flag, so the Ubuntu server should return a delegation to the LB, and
then the caching server should query the LB.

Regarding the problem as you state it, is the LB responding
authoritatively?

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA