DNS Amplification Attacks... and a trivial proposal

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jun 14 02:31:40 UTC 2013

In message <14768.1371175949 at server1.tristatelogic.com>, "Ronald F. Guilmette" writes:

> In message <20130614004155.72013.qmail at joyce.lan>,
> "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
> >The real solution is BCP 38...
>
> I agree completely John.  I cannot do otherwise.  But I have to ask the
> obvious elephant-in-the-room question... How is that comming along so far?

* Router manufactures have code to support BCP 38 though it defaults to off.
* Large numbers of ISPs claim they implement BCP 38.
* NAT boxes tend to reduce the number of viable sources.  As more
  networks rather than hosts connect the IPv4 problem space will
  reduce.  CGN's will have a similar impact.

Future:
* SIDR will make it easier for multi-homed nets to automatically configure
  border acls.
* Adding defaults to home CPE devices to default to only allow out source
  addresses learnt through PD or configured RAs will help.