any requests

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jun 5 18:33:47 UTC 2013

Vernon Schryver <vjs at rhyolite.com> wrote:

> If you have a domain to which you can can add records for a subdomain
> with differing 5-30 second TTLs and can spend not just 5 seconds but
> a few minutes playing around, you might come to my conclusion.  I think
> they treat ANY as if it were psuedo-rdataset containing some of the
> RRs for the domain with a TTL equal to the minimum of all of the TTLs
> of the contained rdatasets.  (I thought I sometimes get only some of
> the record types for my Christmas tree test domain from 8.8.8.8, but
> now I seem to always get all of them.)

I thought Google Public DNS re-fetched RRsets as they were expiring in
order to keep the cache populated, which would explain what you see, but
they don't mention it on
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/performance

> 5 years ago that might have been a good hack,

I believe the ANY hack on mail servers was a Sendmailism 20ish years ago.
It was a bad hack then and it has remained a bad hack :-)

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.