Confused about a basic concept

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jun 5 18:25:29 UTC 2013

Bryan Harris <bryanlharris at me.com> wrote:

> After reading everything it looks to me like our hidden master configuration
> is basically okay, but by some of the best practices described, it could be
> better and easier to work with if we had a separate caching layer.

Note that the caches live on the client side of DNS. The authority server
side is cacheless - it uses replication (slaving) rather than caches. In
particular you should not point an NS record at a recursive cache server.
DNS authority servers are usually much faster than recursive caches.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.