Queries using forwarders

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Jun 3 21:52:26 UTC 2013

The point of being authoritative is to have a full copy of the zone, so
that one is basically autonomous, not dependent on anyone else to
resolve names in the zone. In BIND terms, that means "type master" or
"type slave". That's why authoritative zones "override" forwarding,
since forwarding is a relationship of dependency. One can't be
autonomous and dependent, for the same zone, at the same time.

A slave nameserver is, of course, "dependent", in a sense, on getting
the latest version of the zone from its master(s). But that's not a
real-time dependency, since it can always (providing that it hasn't been
so long that the zone has expired) answer queries from the latest
version of the zone it happens to possess.

                                                                 - Kevin