any requests

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Sun Jun 2 22:13:33 UTC 2013

> From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>

> On 02.06.13 20:28, hugo hugoo wrote:

> >I plan to block these kind of requests on the dns cache servers in order to
> > avoid any amplification attack.

> hard to say, but as I stated before: don't do that.

Instead, use RRL to mitigate many kinds of amplification attacks instead
of only those using ANY.  See http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits

Blocking DNS ANY requests is to DNS amplification DoS mitigation as
blocking SMTP envelope Mail_From values of <> is to spam filtering.
In early spam days, people who either knew far less than they pretended
or had special agendas prescribed blocking the <> sender as almost the
FUSSP, and never mind RFCs that require accepting mail from <>, the
value of mail from <>, and the vast floods of spam that don't and
never did involve the <> sender.

Blocking DNS ANY or SMTP <> fit the old saying by H. L. Mencken:
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear,
     simple, and wrong.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com