Can I change the zone file from command line?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Jul 24 16:30:54 UTC 2013

On 7/24/2013 5:50 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 02:30:49PM -0400,
>   Kevin Darcy <kcd at chrysler.com> wrote
>   a message of 565 lines which said:
>
>> When you dial a telephone number, do you worry that your dialing may
>> have "consequences" against telephone numbers that you *didn't*
>> dial? Seems very unlikely.
> OK, but switching from a static zone to a dynamically provisioned one
> *has* consequences (modification of the BIND configuration, may be a
> change in permissions of the directories, etc). I agree it is probably
> The Right Way here but it does not mean it has zero consequences.
Yes, you are correct, the initial conversion from static to dynamic
needs to be handled with care. That's what testing and validation
processes are for :-)

Once it's in place, though, any fears about nsupdate "ripple effects"
from one rrset to another, are mostly unfounded (possible exception
being changes to delegation records and/or glue).

                                                         - Kevin